With Memorial Day around the corner, we can finally say that grilling season is upon us! We’ve rounded up three great allergen-conscious recipes so that everyone can safely join in on the fun.
- Homemade BBQ Sauce to coat your protein of choice
- Dairy-free, egg-free potato salad for a creamy, satisfying side dish
- Grilled chicken shawarma skewers for a smoky flavor explosion
No matter what’s on your Memorial Day menu, remember these tips when you’re shopping for someone with allergies:
- Ensure you know all the ways allergens may be referenced on a food label. Some allergens may be listed under a less common name – for example, albumin (egg).
- If the product doesn’t have an ingredient list, don’t buy it.
- Major food allergens must appear either in parentheses following the name of the ingredient OR immediately after or next to the list of ingredients in a “contains” statement.
- Be careful with imported products. While imported items are supposed to follow FALCPA and domestic food labeling laws, occasionally they don’t.